Sony has announced that its VENICE full-frame digital motion picture
camera will receive additional High Frame Rate (HFR) capabilities and
added workflow flexibility with a new Version 5.0 firmware update
planned for January 2020.
Following the Version 4.0 firmware release this June, which includes an HFR license to support 120fps at 4K 2.39:1, 110fps at 4K 17:9, 75fps at 4K 4:3 and 60fps at 6K 3:2, VENICE’s Version 5.0 update will further enable cinematographers to shoot at speeds of up to 90fps at 6K 2.39:1 and 72fps at 6K 17:9/1.85:1. This addition enables VENICE to capture three times slow motion at 24p even in 6K. Cinematographers can utilise the same camera across multiple speeds, maintaining the full-frame shallow depth of field, as well as the high picture quality of oversampling in 6K.
“Through an ongoing dialogue with cinematographers, we have continued to evolve VENICE to meet the needs of top talent,” explained Sebastian Leske, Product Marketing Manager, Cinematography, Sony Professional Solutions Europe. “To date, more than 100 features and episodic productions have been shot on VENICE. The new Version 5.0 firmware will allow the camera to be even more flexible, ultimately increasing its benefit and versatility to all cinematographers.”
Notable projects shot on VENICE include this summer’s action thriller from STXfilms ’21 Bridges’ (DoP Paul Cameron, ASC), Sony Pictures’ “Bad Boys for Life” (DoP Robrecht Heyvaert) and the Johnny Depp drama “Minamata” (DoP Benoît Delhomme).
VENICE Version 5.0 Firmware
Ver5.0 also offers various features to achieve enhanced shooting usability and efficient production workflow. Highlights include：
• HFR Capabilities – Up to 90fps at 6K 2.39:1 and 72fps at 6K 17:9.
• Apple ProRes 4444 – Record HD videos in the high picture quality on SxS PRO+ cards, without Sony’s AXS-R7 recorder. This is especially effective for HD VFX workflow.
• 180 Degree Rotation Monitor Out– Flip and flop images via viewfinder and SDI.
• High Resolution Magnification via HD Monitor Out – Existing advanced viewfinder technology for clearer magnification is now extended to HD Monitor Out.
• Improved User Marker Settings – Menu updates for easier selection of frame lines on viewfinder.
Commitments to Best Imaging & Workflow Practices
In addition, regardless of VENICE firmware version, Sony has announced new commitments with key industry organisations dedicated to achieving the highest quality image and preserving the filmmaker’s creative intent. These include:
• ACES Support – VENICE has joined Sony’s F65, F55, and F5 in earning the ACES logo, meeting the specifications laid out in the ACES Product Partner Logo Program. With a newly available IDT and properly configured ACES colour managed workflow, VENICE ensures a consistent colour experience that preserves the filmmaker’s creative vision.
To see VENICE in person, including the Version 4.0 HFR capabilities and the popular VENICE Extension System, visit Sony at booth #S101 in Stage 6 of Cine Gear Expo at Paramount Studios.